3. Do interview several candidates — at least three if you can.
4. Do listen more than you talk.
5. Do be realistic — about job responsibilities, experience required, salary and benefits.
6. Do stick to the same evaluation process for each candidate.
7. Don’t make promises of job security.
8. Don’t hire someone just because you know them.
9. Don’t be overly impressed by credentials from big corporations or well-known universities.
10. Don’t be swayed by your first impression. Let the conversation flow. For important jobs, arrange for a second in-person interview with your top prospects before you make your final choice.